Plastic is the all-time material used for storing and transporting foods, drinks, and water. It is loved for its lightweight nature that allows for convenient use and transportation.
But plastic is not as green and eco-friendly as we all think. Some plastic bottles and products include harmful chemicals like phthalates and BPA which trigger hormone imbalance and other health problems like neurological disorders, obesity, cancers, and infertility.
It’s recyclable and usable, but it leaves a massive footprint. As we talk, more than 46,000 plastic pieces are floating in the ocean and considering plastics can take up to 1000 years to fully decompose, that poses a high risk to our environment and health. Using friendlier and greener plastic alternatives like the ones outlined below could be the way to go.
Top 4 Budget-Friendly Alternatives To Plastic Bottles
1. Insulated Stainless Steel Bottles
Insulated stainless steel bottles are characterized by their ability to keep drinks hot and cold for hours. These bottles are available in multiple sizes and shapes, so they’re convenient enough to fulfill everyone’s everyday water consumption needs.
Reusable water bottles help save the atmosphere by reducing the number of water bottles ending up in landfills. Since stainless steel bottles are free of toxic elements like phthalate and BPA, which are common in plastic containers, they’re a great way to minimize intake of toxins and keep the atmosphere safe. These bottles don’t include a resin lining, so the amount of toxin that enters your body through water intake is reduced.
Metal is naturally a good temperature conductor meaning anything cold kept in these bottles will say cold and vice versa. More Americans have started investing in water filters to improve hygiene and stay safe. Unfortunately, most of them use plastics to store water for drinking during the day. Instead of risking your health, using stainless steel water bottles with a lined interior to store your water is advised.
- Stainless steel water bottles are stylish. They come in many colors and designs to match any outfit.
- They’re easy to wash and maintain. You can use ordinary detergents and water to get your bottle cleaned.
- The bottles are safe from Phthalate and BPA. You can drink directly from the containers without worrying about your safety.
- Reusable stainless bottles are lightweight. They can be carried around easily.
- They’re suitable for storing cold and hot drinks. Stainless steel bottles have a lining on the interior, which aids prevent cooling or heating.
- Stored water can sometimes taste metallic. That’s if the interior lining gets worn out.
- The water may heat up if kept in a warm environment.
- Some bottles have BPA lining, so they may not be safe for use.
2. Glass Bottles
Bottles made of glass are widespread today. Glass bottles come in different sizes and holding capacities. The best choices range from 200 millimeters to 1.5 liters, though.
Over the years, glass bottles have been used in storing cosmetics, preservatives, food, condiments, soda, water, and liquor. Glass bottles are created through traditional blow-molding and glass-blowing.
Industries used automated and advanced manufacturing technologies. These bottles became popular after the invention of flow and feed machines that allowed for the creation of more bottles.
They’re green and good for your health. Storing water in these bottles won’t change the smell and taste since they don’t include chemicals such as Bisphenol-A, which is common in plastics. Besides having the right water coolers in your household or business settings, you should encourage the use of glass bottles.
- Glass doesn’t feature BPA coatings. Bisphenol-A is a common chemical used to coat plastic containers. It’s toxic and unsafe as it can trigger various health problems.
- In nature, glass is non-permeable, so it doesn’t absorb odor or color. It’s safe for keeping water and will never change its color.
- Glass bottles are naturally sleek and stylish. Using these bottles add a sense of beauty to your outfit and outlook.
- Glass bottles are versatile. You can use them to store cold and hot drinks.
- It’s durable and doesn’t require washing. With simple everyday cleaning, you can maintain your bottle in shape and the best condition.
- Water stored in glass bottles tastes good.
- Since they’re durable, they will save you money.
- Glass breaks easily, and when it does, it can be a real menace.
- Since it’s highly breakable, it has a short lifespan.
- Not all plastics are recyclable.
3. Aluminum Bottles
Aluminum bottles have a variety of applications and in a variety of industries. One of those applications is in the packaging of drinks like tea, soda, and beer.
Aluminum bottles have an epoxy or enamel layer to increase usability and durability. Aluminum is 100 percent recyclable, so aluminum bottles can be recycled as many times as possible. They come in multiple designs, profiles, configurations, and styles. Some bottles have industry-standard designs that allow for easy use with caps and closures.
Aluminum bottles as well come in a variety of standard finishes, including lug finishes, crown caps, thread with plastic sleeves, and continuous thread finishes. You can get an aluminum bottle in any shape and design depending on your personal preferences. These bottles cost a bit higher up front but are cheap to maintain.
- Affordable and reliable – aluminum water bottles cost more upfront but will save you a great deal in the long run. The bottles are long-lasting and require minimal to no maintenance, so you won’t have to pay so much to maintain them in good shape.
- Easy to clean – there is nothing complicated about cleaning aluminum water bottles. You can easily scrub the exterior and interior of the bottle with ordinary cleaning materials. And since you won’t have to do it every so often, you will have fun moments using your aluminum bottle.
- Green and friendly to the atmosphere – the manufacturing of aluminum bottles doesn’t release of toxic elements to the atmosphere. Also, aluminum is recyclable, so there is minimal waste deposited in landfills.
- Easily transportable – aluminum bottles have a lightweight design that allows for easy transportation.
- Maintains water temperature – using aluminum bottles to store your drinking water lets you enjoy cold or hot water when necessary. These bottles have quality insulation properties, which allow the water to stay in your desired state for hours.
- Not reliable for keeping water in the desired temperature – exposing your bottle to extremely cold or hot environments can end up changing its state.
- May get dented easily – if you don’t give your aluminum the best care and attention, it will get dented, which can affect its aesthetic appeal.
4. Tritan Copolyester Bottles
Since its invention in 2007, Tritan copolyester has been gaining popularity day-in-day-out. It’s currently one of the most eco-friendly and reliable materials used in the creation of water bottles.
Eastman is the company behind the introduction of this heat and impact-resistant material that has wowed everyone with its leach proof properties. This material is naturally dishwasher safe and boasts strong odor, stain, and taste resistance properties. Consequently, water kept in bottles created of Tritan copolyester won’t change in odor or taste.
Eastman’s copolyester doesn’t feature chemicals like Bisphenol-S or Bisphenol-A. Therefore, it’s safe for use at home and commercial settings. All bottles created of this fabric boast high return value and lower price point. Everyone concerned about their health and the wellbeing of the atmosphere should consider these bottles.
- Excellent hydrolysis resistance properties – Tritan is naturally resistant to hydrolysis in both humid and hot environments. It doesn’t corrode when exposed to perfumes, detergents, oils, or hydrocarbon solvents.
- Strong impact resistance capabilities – Tritan is a high-grade material that’s super resistance to impact and damage.
- Its dishwasher safe – you can quickly get your Tritan water bottles washed in a dishwasher. That minimizes the amount of time wasted in manual cleaning and maximizes the quality of cleaning results.
- Taste and odor resistant properties – bottles made of Tritan copolyester guarantee quality and clean water. This material doesn’t accustom to any taste or odor change your water undergoes.
- High value – the cost of these bottles is quite affordable. They boast longer lifespan, so you when you invest in Tritan water bottles, you are sure to get a high return on investment.
- It’s a bit more costly when in comparison with other materials, including plastic, glass, and stainless steel.
- It’s not as pure as glass. Water stored in these bottles may change in taste and odor is kept for long.
Quality access to clean water is fundamental to every human being. Most people have the desire to drink more water but lack the motivation. There are so many ways you can motivate yourself to drink enough water, one of which is the use of water bottles.
Water bottles are made from different materials plastic being the most popular option. Recyclable plastic water bottles, though affordable and reliable may pose severe problems to your health. That’s why we recommend using the above-outlined alternatives to plastic bottles.
If you don’t fancy water bottles but still want to drink enough water, you should consider investing in water dispensers or whole-house water filters.
5 Reasons Why It Is Important To Get Water Tested Right Now
Scheduling water treatment is not an easy process. No matter how tricky and complex it is to keep a schedule for water testing: you’ve to do it regularly.
Causes And Effects Of Contaminated Water. What Causes Water Contamination?
Main question remains: What causes water contamination? Let's dive in and see what are the causes and effects of polluted water. Find out more...
12 Benefits Of Drinking (Warm) Water In The Morning.
You shouldn’t drink beverages instead of water if you surely want to stay hydrated. Drinking it in the morning has been found to be beneficial.
Is Fluoride Really Safe In Drinking Water?
Fluoride found in human teeth and bones, and its benefits to dental health are well-documented. Fluoride is not harmful if taken in the right quantities.
10 Dehydration Signs And Symptoms And How To Treat Them
Dehydration is what happens when the body is deprived of enough fluid supply. Water content makes up about three-quarters of our bodies.
5 Drinking Water Contaminants And Their Health Effects Information
Water is a vital nutrient to your body: is life. It would also be best if you take total responsibility for the quality of drinking water in your household.